Saturday, January 06, 2007

First Week of Winter



Week of:
Monday, January 1 2007

Abstract:
I begin Winter quarter 2007

What went well:

I was more assertive in my own process. I received a orientation in surgery radiography.

What needs work:
Coming back after nearly a month off leaves a lot to be desired.

Elucidation:
Well, the first week was not especially sterling. I had difficulty getting back into the groove. For example, I totally mixed up the angle of a foot x-ray. My timing was off. And my feet were sore, unaccustomed as they are to standing for long periods. But it was temporary; I started to get my legs late Thursday.

Overall though, I had an enriching experience. I was able to integrate much of the concepts that are new to me. I was able to acquaint myself was several new faces in the O.R. A fine start I feel to the quarter.

Goals for next week:

I want to be proactive in my approach to my own learning.
I want to gain useful skills in my trauma rotation next week

3 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Glad your week back went well! I only had a week off, but I still felt off last Tuesday. I was supposed to have 2 weeks off, but I got to work one of them as a paid employee! YAY for temporary licenses! Going down to surgeries on my own was thrilling :)

glad you're 'back'

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger paradise.found said...

Mary - sounds like time off universally needed but also somewhat unhelpful to the process. I worked outside of the field during the break. Isn't surgery interesting?

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Mary said...

I'm at a smaller hospital, so I can go a week+ without going down to the OR. I think it's been a good month since I've gone in on an ortho case. Things like that make me a bit apprehensive, but the majority of the cases we do (cystos and port placements) I feel very confident on. It helps that the Dr's know me now, and the staff too.

One of the students I am with was off for over 2 weeks. He said he felt really rusty and was dissapointed in himself.

hope ya have a good week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home