Saturday, October 14, 2006

Worry Be Gone


Some of my fellow students have encourage me to not be so hung up on getting my comps. But I feel it's important for me to be on top of it. We're only expected to get four comps Fall quarter.

One tech, I call her Wendy, Said, “I hope you don't feel like I'm pushing you.” Then she shoved me into a room and insisted that I grab a portable chest requisition and do the bugger myself. I did OK I guess. I pushed the cassette a little low and she corrected it. Then I set technique and that was a little hot. But at school our instructor is fond of quoting, “Better hot than not.” Seriously, she corrected my technique stab. My collimation and tube placement was good.

It's important to have initiative in clinical. I'm feeling very good about many aspects of my clinical experience. I'm very new with the hospital experience so I feel like a bit of sponge; trying my hand at various exams when it's appropriate; when not, I stand back and watch attentively. I try to remain on my feet at all time except to do paper work. When a tech seems to need help I step up. In short, I'm loving the experience as a whole. I try to ask periodically, "Is there something you need help with."

The area that I'm unsure about is comps. We need a minimum of four to get a satisfactory rating for Fall quarter. So far I have a double comp on CXR and a single comp on a wrist. I feel that I'm about to really pull in a bunch of comps now that we're cleared to do upper extremities. I want to be careful of mistaking being comfortable with an exam and being complacent. It can be a trap to say, I'm a beginner I'll sit out comping this one. That's easy to do for a beginner student in trauma because of how fast paced it can be there. I can be extremely reserved in new situations.

At the same time, Josh and Wendy, staff technologists have been taking upon themselves to push me saying, "Have you done a humerus before?" for example. And then allowing me to make my best effort at a trauma series. I love working with trauma techs because it does feel like an accelerated learning experience.

1 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Mary said...

It sounds like you are doing really well!! I think the uncertinity is normal, I still feel it sometimes. If/When I choose to attempt to comp an exam, I like to make sure it's something I could do at anytime, completely alone. It's a little more iffy with trauma's of course, but the same general idea.

At the same time, because I'm at a tiny hospital, I can't REALLY take the chance that I'll get another exam of that kind soon. For instance, I've been waiting for a sinus exam for over a month. They've gotten a few on graveyard or weekends, but only ONE during a shift I worked. And it was on a hard patient and took 3 tries to get a good film due to the patient not cooperating.

I think it's funny your teacher said "better to be too hot." Our physics professor told us that is a bad misconception to have. Sure you won't have to repeat due too low of technique, but the patient is getting an unneccesary dose. It's trying to find that zone where you get a good image, but you aren't increasing dose.

I found out recently that our site is quite a bit 'hotter' than other sites. I think part of it is that since switching to CR last fall, people increased KVP but didn't reduce the mAs by much. Luckily CR is so forgiving so the images still are usable, but it makes me worry about the dose....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home