Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The first days of positioning class were a real joy. I found that because of my volunteer experience (with J.,) I picked up the basic positions very quickly: RAO (right anterior oblique), LAO, right ventral decubitus ect. In fact, I was able to help out other students as they grasped the concepts. I have to admit that I was a bit a show off.


I know I'm bragging, but when I demonstrated the Right anterior oblique the instructor said, "excellent.” To my fellow students I'd say things like, “You need to keep the arms above the head so they don't obliterate the area of interest.” The instructor told me, “We aren't concentrating on the specific positions. We are learning the very general ones.”


She asked me if I'd done work in an X-ray department before. “Yes,” I said proudly, “I volunteered at X clinic with J.” It's occurred many times this week how much of a mentor J. was to my experience. And how I feel that the volunteering gave light to the concepts introduced this week, and ones to come.


One of the interesting thing about this quarter is that another community college is linking to our program. It's a little off putting to share the instructor's attentions with people that aren't even there physically. And the technology making this possible isn't without its many hickups and burps. It's funny to hear the distance learners reply in unison, “Yes.” When asked it they've grasped the concepts being presented.


I like how the quarter is being structured by introducing a little at a time. I probably wouldn't feel overwhelmed anyway, but it's nice that we're only taking eight credits to start. Fall quarter will be a full-time load, thirteen credits. One of the credits is a medical terminology course which I've already taken at another school. My credits matriculated so I'll have twelve credits for Fall.

Tomorrow I start the Nursing Procedures class.

1 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home