Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Honey Moon is Over


The honeymoon is over, this according to the main instructor. She was joking. But the statement is important because it shows that expectations are higher. She was referring to the natural acceleration of positioning practicals and the corresponding clinical comps, as it should be.

The way it works is you must show that you can do the exam with minimal help from the technologist. You must then show your ability on the same exam no less than one week later. Only then do you fully comp an exam.

This week I got my second comp on CXRs (chest x-rays.) I then flew solo with CXRs.

In positioning classes, we finished up the upper extremities and are into the shoulder girdle. On Monday I have a chapter quiz on the forearm, elbow and humerus. Later that day I'll have a practical on the whole upper extremities. I'm looking forward to it because I can then ask to comp those exams.

We finally dived deep into radio technique. The lecture on Friday began with an IT worker setting up the distance connection. I have to say that the link worked better than I thought. Call me a big baby, but I was initially a little put out that our class would be the distance element as the instructor is an employee of our campus. It's called sharing. The students at the originating end usually are the distance students. That's the way it should be. I signed up to this program because it wasn't a distance link. Okay, peeve relieved.

Yes, the technique portion was very basic. But I found that there were gaping holes in what I knew. No big surprise there, only I found I was having a hard time with mAs and the whole remnant beam thing. I'll see if I can meet with an instructor next week.

Clinical was a blast as always. I liked how the six view spine exam I observed a young tech do really served to cement my understanding. The standing t-spine a-p and lateral reminded me a lot of a CXR. The tech did something else that reinforced my experience. She did all her a-p's and then did all her laterals. That is helpful to the patient because you don't need to move them much between projections as they are already centered to the bucky. I wonder who showed me that concept first?

I also observed several Fluoroscopy exams. Fluoroscopy is a technique for creating "live" X-ray images of a living patient. The Radiologist presses a foot switch to control an X-Ray beam that is transmitted through the patient. What's interesting is that they're often video images displayed on a monitor. Occasionally the radiologist will freeze an image out of the video. I was told by an older tech to watch the exams carefully as I'll be doing them significantly later in the program. I found that watching the action was helpful.

4 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Wow it sounds like you are doing really well!

I like the concept of learning the routines in class, then being able to apply them at your sites. Our program was 6 months of classes, then straight to our clinicals. So we had to learn all of the positioning, THEN go to the clinical sites.

I'm just happy because right now I only have 3 mandatory comps left, and 3 electives. Slowly but surely, I'm getting them done...

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger paradise.found said...

Hi Mary,

It sounds like you're pretty far along in your program.

One of the things that I like about my program is that we went right into the clinical after week six.

Thanks for your kind words.

PF

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Dustin said...

Hi Paradise,

I just found your blog and cant wait to read it! I've had a he!! of a time trying to find other x-ray tech student blogs out here in the blogosphere so when i caught wind of yours (courteousy of Kristen at Kristens Chronicles) i had to check it out.

I'm an x-ray tech student at a program in Phoenix, AZ. I started my first clinical rotation a few weeks ago. I started my blog last year when i first decided i wanted to change careers and become an x-ray tech. Check it out at:

http://azx-raytechstudent.blogspot.com

Anyway, Im looking forward to reading your blog (backwards) and finding out more about your experiences as an x-ray tech student.

Take care and good luck.

Dustin

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger paradise.found said...

Hey Arizonab,

Thanks for the kind words and the link. I plan to read your blog from the bottom up.

Regards,

PF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home