Sunday, February 25, 2007

My First OR Rotation: Week 1


Week of: 02-19-2007

Abstract:
I begin my OR rotation

Mood:
Cheerful, calm & quiet

What went well: I integrated many of the dynamics of the OR.

What needs work: There's still a lot to learn. Strong personalities in the department.

Elucidation:
Imagine your favorite crazy uncle who always is cracking jokes and you have a good picture of the lead tech in the OR. He's a real hellion but a lot of fun. His first words Tuesday were, “Why don't you go to the cafeteria to get some breakfast.” Which certainly sounds tame enough. I won't describe the other things he said, yet.

My first day in OR rotation started with a feeling of trepidation. I often get the jitters during any activity that is new. What makes it different of course is that the area around and between tables is considered sterile.

It's critically important that no one other than the scrub nurse/tech and docs touch the area. I've always been some what spatially challenged. Case in point was my short football career in high school: unmitigated disaster. I've improved in this regard since my ungainly years as a youth.

So what happened? I nearly touched the field twice in one 30 second period. The tech, a woman, pulled me by my scrubs and whispered sharply, “NEVER TURN YOUR BACK TO THE STERILE FIELD.” Wow. On Thursday, the lead tech (Crazy uncle) said something similar when we walked to a room. “If you touch the sterile field your ass is grass.” He needn't have said this.

But you know it worked. From then on I'd look in the window of the suite to assess the position and best approach to bring the equipment in.

The first tech was an encyclopedia. She explained just about everything she did during a capitulum reconstruction. She talked about the controls of the C-arm, technical factors, and who all the personnel involved were.

I found it all fascinating to say the least. Looking into an open abdomen for example, really leaves a mark on a young tech. I saw a surgeon draw a strand of the tricep upward during the capitulum reconstruction.

But I must say it brought me pleasure at the end of my shift on Thursday when the lead tech said, “You did a good job today.” I smiled. I'm smiling now.

Goals for next week:

It's all very basic for now:
Just get in to the rooms and watch, observe and take notes.

3 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Isn't getting praise terrific? Makes ya smile for days, really. We had one particularly busy day this week, and there were only 3 of us. The 2 techs swapped 5 hours of surgery time while I did all the fluoro procedures, with whomever not in surgery tag teamed all the inpatients, outpatients and ER. It was freaking CRAZY. But then G said "Really nice job today Mary" I couldn't stop grinning :)

Um I touched the sterile field once. With my ass none the less. But it was only a towel hanging off the tray so TECHNICALLY it wasn't sterile, but I Wasn't gonna tell the nurse who got upset that...I instead bought her candy afterwards, and now she loves me. Just remember MOST nurses LOVE chocoloate...it does a great job bridging gaps between nurses and students ;)

hope next week goes well!

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah...I touched the sterile field once...WOW...they weren't happy. The Carm is fun to play with and I like being away from all the administration. The doctors can be...let's say...out there at times.

Good Luck and enjoy this rotation.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger paradise.found said...

Hey Mary thanks a lot for the chocolate bribe suggestion. I know I love chocolate. Thanks for the other kind words too.

Thanks dawn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home