Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Dog Days of Spring


Weeks of:
2007-04-14
2007-04-23

Abstract:
Things find their own level like water in a basin. The dog days of spring.

Mood:
Scattered - after studying electrical theory for three hours.

What went well:
I've made very few comps, but I've learned a lot about myself

What needs work:
I need to improve my skills in dealing with sarcastic and condescending criticism.

Elucidation:
I've felt more focused in my school work. I've done very well in the tests so far. It's interesting how each facet of life is experienced as ebb and flow. It's helps to be assertive and work hard, but to also accept what the world sends you.

I've spent the last three weeks in the ER, something I enjoy doing very much. The vibe, and energy combine for exciting work. Helping people in various stages of life and injury.

But I think we all can agree that who your tech is for the day can dictate how you perceive your developmental self esteem. Call me a wimp. But I don't do well when someone in a supervisory roll uses me as their cat toy, to bat around. A tech, I'll call her Casper, would smile as she said, “You've been here long enough to know better.” The tone of voice was like acid. There were several moments like this.

For most of them I remained silent, Nodding in agreement. But it's difficult when you know down to your socks that there are many ways to look at the issue. I didn't take it well. Primarily because I feel that there's good teaching and not so good. I've said this before: What needs to understood is that these people, the technologists, aren't trained teachers. I would never act like that to a student.

The clinical coordinator at the hospital said as much after she asked who the individual was. She said things that I knew but it helped to hear them, “Casper is a real bitch.”
“I don't use that word.” I said.
“But it's true. She is a very moody person. You need to realize that this isn't about you. She's having her moment of dominance at your expense. But if it wasn't you, it would be some one else. So don't take it personally.”

I agreed to let it go. That decision is where my power is. I spoke to one of my buddies and she said to let in fall off my back, to not take it personally. I'm good at doing that sort of thing. I never looked at the tech's comments like attacks.

This week reminds me of something a student told me before I was in an x-ray program. This in response to my question: “What are the keys to clinical success.”

Show up
Be honest
Be humble
Take direction
Be Assertive
Learn from past actions

I'm in ortho next week. Every one: stay in touch.

Goals for next week:
Improve my interactions
Earn Eight comps.

3 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough week! I just had my interview to ENTER the rad tech program at my school and have often wondered (IF I get accepted) if I'll have trouble letting things "roll off my back." You got great advice from your clinical coordinator, but isn't it easier said than done?

Good luck!
Andrea

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have run in to similar issues with techs at several of my clinical sites. I try my best not to take their actions personally, but sometimes I find it difficult not to. I think I'm getting better at it however. Good luck with your program!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

Although I hate to hear that you were mistreated that way, its also great to hear that I'm not the only one it happens to.

I have often wondered why some techs treat students so poorly, because in no time at all those students will be their colleages and may someday even been their superiors. Not smart on their part.

My theory is that it stems from how they were treated when they were students. Some people are not "evolved" enough to let that experience go and feel that it is their right and duty to treat students like crap because that was how they were treated. Eye for an eye sort of thing.

Although its easier said than done, its helpful to keep in mind that your life as a student will not last forever (even though sometimes it feels that way) and eventually you will be on the same level as those people who treated you poorly. Then its up to you to be the bigger person and treat them with the respect with which they never treated you.

Hang in there.

Dustin
Mountain Imaging

 

Post a Comment

<< Home