Sunday, April 15, 2007

Spring quarter starts with a bang, I mean a rush


Weeks of:
2007-04-02
2007-04-09

Abstract:
Spring quarter starts with a bang, I mean a rush.

Mood:
Stressed, yet happy

What went well:
I feel my confidence level soaring

What needs work:
I need to be better with techniques.

Elucidation:
Does it seem like I say the same thing every time in the intro segments? I think so. Anyway, I've been finding the new quarter to be the one where I find my feet. The development seems agonizing slow at times and I'm quick to loose patience with myself.

I did quite well over the last two weeks. I already have as many comps this quarter than for all of Winter. I started and ended a full trauma Cervical and Thoracic spine series. It's more challenging because you can't use the bucky since the pt is on a backboard. The oblique radiographs are ugly as sin, because the vertebral bodies are all stretched out laterally. I nailed every shot!

And I would have been happy as I thought I was making pretty good time. But the pt's nurse came in and asked, “What's taking so long?” She smiled when she said it. I told her that I'm a student of radiography and the seemed to satisfy her. It may see like a modest step but I feel it's a leap mentally.

What predicated this was a moment with a supervisor week one. He asked me if I'd seen anything interesting. I said I'd seen a RUG, Retrograde Uerethrographic exam.

He said, “See, Did Do!”

What he meant is this clinical experience is what I make of it. I need to go into every exam with the thought that I'll make some contribution. It might be setting up the supplies including contrast. So I've taken the concept to heart.

I took it upon myself to do several portable exams solo. This was a little stressful as I didn't have the usual support. I had to CXR a 500 pound guy! But I asked the nurse for help and got it going and nailed the shot.

I slipped over to CT during a slow moment in trauma. They were doing an abdomen scan on a young man. I overheard the words, “multiple gun shot wounds” and “multiple surgeries.” The scout lateral of his addomen was aquired and the tech said, “When is he expecting?” Because of how distended the man's abdomen was it looked like a pregnancy.

What really flipped me out was seeing the axial image of what was causing the distention. His colon was completely external to the peritoneum. Sheesh! Not a good thing. Can you say massive histamine reaction? Loop upon loop, layer upon layer laid to waste.

Thursday was a tough day. I'm a feeling kind of guy. One woman was D.O.A and I happened to observe. I need to look at my emotional reactions that is, don't react emotionally to extreme cases. It's no wonder the people in those areas are cracking jokes all the time.

I need to regain my sense of urgency for school work. Clinical is great, show up, work hard, kick ass. School is harder to stay motivated. But I'm trying to get into labs and groups more often. I'll let you know.

Goals for next week:
Stay more physically and emotionally balanced.
Continue to work on techniques and confidence

3 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Wow you are doing really well!! I'm impressed :)

I know what you mean about emotions. I don't tend to let it bother me at work, but there have been more than 1 drive home that involved me crying because of a patient I encountered.

Hang in there--you are doing fantastic! And yes, school work is important, but like someone told me: "no one asks what your GPA was, just like no one cares what you scored on your registry test" (well if they didn't know you as a student of course).

I'm just glad to be done. It seems a little surreal. I've been working at a new hospital the last couple of days and I feel like a student all over again trying to learn the new equipment and protocals, and Dr's. Pretty intimidating.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger paradise.found said...

Hey Mary,

Congratulation on all the changes. It sounds like you are also doing well. I find that the times of greatest change are the time I'm truly alive. Ain't learnin' a blast?

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Learning is great, but it's so tiring! I just had 3 days off, and was planning on getting stuff done around the house as we'll be moving next month, but instead I "decided" to get strep throat and spent the whole 3 days on the couch. Hopefully I'll be up for working tomorrow, I told the lead tech I'd call her as soon as I was up if I didn't feel like I could work.

Hang in there--looking forward to more updates! I don't always have a chance to reply, but I'm always checking in 2-3 times a week to see if you updated :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home