Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Getting Over the Jitters

Week of: 2007-05-28


Abstract: OR Rotation Continues


Mood: Tired


What went well: I got into the rooms: started and completed exams.


What needs work: I need to get over the jitters and bring up the speed.


Elucidation: Working in the OR requires a skill set that is hard to acquire if you're not in the department all the time. My OR hours to standard radiography hours are 3/11. Next quarter, my clinical will be 40 hrs/wk Monday-Friday. It will be productive to a better grasp of all the departments including the OR.


It's easy to understand why a student might feel nervous. I remember an early situation, during a flustered moment, when I moved the c-arm proximal when the surgeon asked for distal. Most surgeons have no time for students who take extra time. I need to bring up my speed.


Surgery is really a race. Everyone has limited time: for the patient to be under anesthetic, before the next scheduled exam.


Goals for next week: Be more proactive. Speed up my movements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home