Sunday, June 10, 2007

Crazy Uncle, Tough Love and The OR Queen


Week of: 2007-06-04


Abstract: OR Rotation Ends


Mood: Nervous, cause I drank to much coffee while studying for the exams I have tomorrow.


What went well: My level of independent work in the OR has shot up.


What needs work: I still need to improve my speed in the OR.


Elucidation: I find that I am reflecting on the events of last Tuesday. I had scheduled a case in the OR. Two other techs had joined me to set up the room for the case. One tech, I'll call her, OR Queen, was asked, “Why does the schedule say upper extremity when its a lower extremity case?”


“Because it was an idiot who scheduled it,” OR Queen said to the tech who had asked.


Upon hearing the last I asked, “That would be me. I didn't quite catch the gist. Is there a problem?” Without batting an eyelash she told me in no uncertain terms what my transgression was. OR Queen does blow everything, around my experience, out of proportion. She is a type-A female. She's often overbearing in the middle of cases.


Upon reflecting on the events I share these thoughts: It doesn't pay to take anything personally, even when you've been insulted as much as that. Life is full of joys as well as jabs.


I would never personally say something about another person being an idiot. That's my nature. I tend to be PC to the hilt. In a similar situation I'd say, “That person had a clueless moment.” OR Queen's example is certainly more direct.


I told the lead tech, Crazy Uncle about this. And he said it was no big deal. That I could change the exam type when I ended the case.


Crazy Uncle also has noted that I'm not assertive enough for the maximization of the experience. He said, “I'm going to push you into things outside your comfort zone.” I thanked him and said that I need that push. One thing I need to caution my readers who have yet to start your programs: I don't harp on assertiveness for nothing. It is critical to get your experiences in. I feel that I am improving.


It was a successful week in many ways. First though I want to continue my rants about “hard love.” Being in such a intensive program, unlike many stand alone classes at the college level, often there is a race to the finish line at each quarter. What this final week entails is a feeling of being overwhelmed.


Many new concepts related to fluoro and advanced procedures have been introduced. It's been exceedingly difficult to retain everything. I have two exams tomorrow! The last several days have been fat with study. I find the best thing to do is to study when I'm relaxed.


That said, I'm feeling somewhat resentful to the process because so much new material was dropped in our laps. Getting so much new material makes it hard to assimilate everything.


I was able to complete several exams this week. My level of independent work in the OR has increased. And despite what I said about OR Queen, I like her and the other techs quite a lot. And I feel respected in return. This feels like a good way to end my account of the rotation.


In real news: A supervisor for the radiology department spoke with us last week about summer employment. I'm looking forward to getting paid. The jobs are contingent on good grades, strong performance in the hospital setting and comps.


Tuesday is the last day of Spring Quarter for me and the last of my first year!


Do say, Hi.

Goals for next week: Next week I'm in the Main Department. I will round out some of the spine comps that I missing.

4 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Mary said...

You are rockin' and rollin' aren't you? WTG on just about being done with your first year.

I find it interesting that you need to work so much on assertiveness, I had a feeling from reading your blog that you do well. My biggest thing to work on (and still work on at new job sites) is confidence and I guess that ties in to assertiveness as well.

I hope you are able to get a paid position this summer for a number of reason. 1: so you don't forget anything :) 2: it rocks being paid!

Hang in there, you sound like you are doing fantastically, and getting a lot more out of the experience than I did...but maybe that's because I've been out of it a whopping 3 months ;) Now my brain is crammed full of the info of working at 3 seperate places......

hopefully you will continue to update, I don't always have time to post, but I do really enjoy reading your blog.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

Wow, sounds like the OR Queen is a Grade A Biotch!! Sorry you have to deal with her. Try not to let her cut what little confidence you do have at this point. As time goes by, your confidence will grow and people like her will have no reason to call you an idiot. I cant believe she did that! Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Congrats on finishing your first year. How much more do you have left. Our program is two years long, but we dont have a summer break, so its 24 straight months of class and clinicals.

Anyway, good luck finding a job for the summer. Like Mary said it will make sure you dont forget anything, plus I am sure getting paid wont hurt any either. :-)

Good luck.

ArizonaDB
Mountain Imaging

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger paradise.found said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger paradise.found said...

Mary: Thanks for the kind words. I am doing well. I tend to harp on assertiveness because I sometimes miss good opportunities. No surprise, I'm much stronger in this area than when I started the program.

arizonadb: Thanks. I'm trying not to let those sorts of experiences shake my confidence. Good call on raising my confidence so I display strong skills at clinical. That's been my plan.

I have a eleven week 40hr/wk clinical this Summer. Our program is 23 months straight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home